Sometimes in our enthusiasm to find a bird or to get a closer look, it is easy to forget the rights of others and the well-being of the birds. YMOS birders always try to adhere to the following principles:
- Never intentionally disturb the bird. Keep stress to the bird to a minimum.
- When using recordings to attract birds, avoid nesting birds and monitor the volume so as not to unduly stress birds or other people.
- Stay away from nests whenever possible.
- Respect other birders while in the field. Monitor your voice level and movement.
- Stay on trails and roads to avoid damage to habitat.
- Stay off private property, and be respectful of the right to privacy of homeowners.
- Ensure that feeders and nest boxes are safe for birds. Clean feeders regularly, and don’t expose birds to predators such as cats.